Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor will meet the Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents(Matta) this week to discuss assistance for stranded travellers who were customers of a company that went bust.
Deputy Minister Datuk Donald Lim Siang Chai said the meeting would look into ways to prevent such incidents from happening again.
“Matta is compiling the relevant data to help the ministry in its investigation.
“At least 150 affected travellers have contacted the association so far,” he told reporters after opening a badminton tournament at Bandar Puteri Puchong near here yesterday.
Recently, tour agent Excellence Holidays Sdn Bhd went bankrupt and caused scores of people to lose money they had paid in advance for tour packages to Europe, China and Hong Kong.
Affected travellers can call Matta at 03-9287 6820 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
On another matter, Lim said his ministry and the Youth and Sports Ministry had set up a joint committee to help organisations run international sports events.
“We want to ensure these organisations have enough funds to promote international events such as the Monsoon Cup and Formula 1, which attract foreign visitors to the country,” he said.
- Matta seeks to protect travellers by Mandatory Insurance Coverage
- Happy Ending for Elderly Couple after losing RM20K to Excellence Travel
- Stranded by Excellence, 150 report losses to Matta
- Ministry Awaiting Report from Matta before assiting Travellers
- Matta seeks people affected by Excellence Travel Agency going bust
- Cops go Regional in Hunt for Excellence Holidays Directors
- Excellence Holiday Directors on the Run
- Excellence Holidays causing jeopardy for MATTA
- Travellers won’t get their money back
- Directors of Travel Agency may be blacklisted
Source : STAR
[tags : malaysiahotelnews hotels malaysia resorts news travel tourism travel vmy2007]