The insurance is to be included in all inbound and outbound holiday packages so that the buyers can be compensated in cases of travel scams.
It will also ensure that travel agents honour all their promises including accommodation standards.
Matta deputy president Datuk Mohd Khalid Harun said they would forward the proposal to the Tourism Ministry after getting feedback from the travel industry within two weeks.
The proposal follows the collapse of some tour and travel agencies after accepting travel deposits.
With a mandatory insurance coverage, customers will have more confidence in Matta, especially when making purchases during travel fairs or on a regular basis.
"There are two types of insurance coverage we are planning to introduce. One will be a service insurance where consumers can seek compensation if they are dissatisfied with the services provided," he said.
"The other one is the consumer protection insurance where buyers who are cheated may be compensated."
The cost would be included in the travel packages.
- Happy Ending for Elderly Couple after losing RM20K to Excellence Travel
- Stranded by Excellence, 150 report losses to Matta
- Ministry Awaiting Report from Matta before assiting Travellers
- Matta seeks people affected by Excellence Travel Agency going bust
- Cops go Regional in Hunt for Excellence Holidays Directors
- Excellence Holiday Directors on the Run
- Excellence Holidays causing jeopardy for MATTA
- Travellers won’t get their money back
- Directors of Travel Agency may be blacklisted
Source : NST
[tags : malaysiahotelnews hotels malaysia resorts news travel tourism travel vmy2007]