The Consumer Claims Tribunal yesterday ruled in favour of 66 claimants who had bought holiday packages from Excellence Holidays Sdn Bhd and ordered the defunct company to pay back the full amount of claims.
Tribunal president Datuk Seri Mutalib Mohd Razak told the 50-over claimants who turned up for the hearing yesterday that the sum would be based on the amount paid to the tour agent.
Customers who had bought their tickets and travel packages at the fair said they were told hours before their scheduled departure that their trips had been cancelled.
Claimants’ representative Chia Geh Yang said they would pursue legal action against Excellence Holidays directors if the company failed to pay up and, subsequently, would consider taking action against the Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (Matta) if that failed.
They would also take the matter up with the Tourism Ministry and stage a demonstration, he said.
Another claimant, manager Selina Yap, said Matta had promised to investigate the case but it had been two months and they had not heard from the association.
“We are not expecting them to pay us back but to provide some kind of compensation, such as travel packages or discounts,” she said, adding that Matta should give them a deadline on the investigation.
Yap said they hoped to put up a protest banner at the next Matta fair in September.
She said the Companies Commission of Malaysia had invited claimants to give their statement on the case last week, since no one had reported to it Excellence Holidays’ closure.
- Easing the risk for the traveller
- Tourism Ministry may make travel insurance compulsory
- Tenku Adnan to meet Matta reps over cheating agents
- Matta seeks to protect travellers by Mandatory Insurance Coverage
- Happy Ending for Elderly Couple after losing RM20K to Excellence Travel
- Stranded by Excellence, 150 report losses to Matta
- Ministry Awaiting Report from Matta before assiting Travellers
- Matta seeks people affected by Excellence Travel Agency going bust
- Cops go Regional in Hunt for Excellence Holidays Directors
- Excellence Holiday Directors on the Run
- Excellence Holidays causing jeopardy for MATTA
- Travellers won’t get their money back
- Directors of Travel Agency may be blacklisted
Source : STAR
[tags : malaysiahotelnews hotels malaysia resorts news travel tourism travel vmy2007]