Friday, July 17, 2009

PHOTOS of Bombs explode at Jakarta Ritz Carlton & Marriott hotels


Smoke billows out of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel following
a blast in central Jakarta, July 17, 2009.


People run following a blast at the Marriot Hotel in central Jakarta



Police stand guard in front of the damaged Ritz-Carlton hotel after an explosion



olice stand guard in front of the damaged exterior of the Ritz-Carlton hotel after an explosion


Windows at the Ritz-Carlton are blown out after Friday's blast.

Damage to the Ritz-Carlton Hotel can be seen following the blast.


A photo posted on Twitter purportedly shows smoke from the Ritz-Carlton in Jakarta


Indonesian police stand guard in front of the Ritz Carlton Hotel after an explosion in Jakarta on Friday.(Dadang Tri/Reuters)

At least six people, including several foreigners, have been killed and 10 injured when explosions ripped through two luxury hotels in downtown Jakarta on Friday, police say.

South Jakarta police Colonel Firman Bundi said some of the bodies had been taken to a hospital.

The facade of the Ritz-Carlton was blown off in one blast and another explosion hit the Marriott, police said. The explosions rocked the area about 8am local time (11am AEST).

The head of the Health Ministry crisis centre, Rustam Pakaya, said at least two people were seriously injured, including one New Zealander.

One hospital emergency room said it was already treating 15 people.

Debris and shattered glass littered the street outside the neighbouring hotels, which are in an upscale Jakarta neighbourhood, and ambulances raced to the scene

Herald on the scene


The Sydney Morning Herald's Indonesia correspondent Tom Allard said one bomb was reportedly detonated inside the Ritz-Carlton.

"I'm looking at it now, you can see all the windows punched out on one side,'' Allard told 2UE radio from outside the back of the hotel.

"[I've been told] the bomb actually went off inside the restaurant at the time people were actually sitting there to have their breakfasts.

He said he could see what appeared to be dead bodies being pulled out of the building and badly injured people being helped out as well.

An Australian man called Jim told 2UE his son was injured in the explosion at the Marriott.

The man said his son phoned him from Jakarta, where he was working, and told him he was on his way to hospital.

His left leg was bleeding and he'd lost hearing in one ear but he told his father he was OK, the man said.

Witness reports

A man jogging by the hotels said he first heard a loud explosion at the Marriott. Five minutes later, a bomb followed at the Ritz.

Alex Asmasubrata said he saw four bodies inside the Marriott. An Associated Press reporter saw three injured people taken away from the Ritz.

Security guard Eko Susanto told AFP: "I heard two sounds like 'boom, boom' coming from the Marriott and the Ritz-Carlton. Then I saw people running out."

Witness Intan told TV One one of the explosions wrecked the lobby of the Plaza Mutiara building.

"I was having breakfast on level 16, I heard an explosion and went down to the first floor and it was a mess. I saw foreigners all bloody, about three to five of them, badly wounded," she said

A witness, who gave her name as Mery, told ElShinta: "I saw some people being carried into a Mercedes. There was a lot of them in there, they were having trouble closing the doors."

Dow Jones Newswires reported witnesses who heard three explosions in the Mega Kuningan business precinct.

"I heard at least three explosions and now white smoke is billowing," a fund manager at a foreign securities company told Dow Jones Newswires on the phone.

JI warning


The bombings come a day after an analyst warned that Indonesian terrorist group Jemaah Islamiyah, dormant following an effective police crackdown resulting in the arrest and execution of some members, was on the rise again and set to strike.


The Marriott hotel was attacked in 2003, when 12 died. Jemaah Islamiah was blamed for that blast.

The Department of Foreign Affairs was aware of reports of an explosion and was in contact with the Australian embassy in Jakarta to investigate what happened, a spokeswoman said

Embassy staff were urgenty seeking to identify whether any Australians were injured, the spokeswoman said

Anyone who has concerns for the welfare of family and friends overseas should try to contact them directly first. DFAT's 24-hour consular emergency centre is also available on 02 6261 3305 or 1300 555 135.




It is five years since the Australian embassy in Jakarta was bombed, killing 10 people and wounding 161 in September 2004.




Source : SMH CNN Reuters
[tags : ]



1 comment:

IkanStim said...

duh, indonesia.. is it so not safe??

 

 

 

Related Posts with Thumbnails