Monday, June 08, 2009

Silk Air to market Penang

SILK Air, Singapore Airline's (SIA) regional carrier, is set to promote Penang as a favourite travel destination, following the commencement of its flights between Singapore and Penang yesterday.

Apart from Penang, it also flies to Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu.

Silk Air chief executive officer Chin Yau Seng said that Penang will be marketed to all destinations that SIA and Silk Air currently serve.

"We are working with Penang Global Tourism Sdn Bhd to offer either travel packages or just air tickets to Penang," he told reporters after welcoming passengers on the inaugural Singapore-Penang flight in Penang yesterday.

Penang Global Tourism is the state government tourism promotion agency.

Chin said about 60 per cent of Silk Air's passengers are made up of the business and leisure segments, and the remaining 40 per cent are from long-haul travellers of SIA.

In joining its parent SIA to fly a total of 21 times per week between Singapore and Penang, Silk Air will also join code-share partner Malaysia Airlines to increase flight frequencies to 28 times per week.

"We intend to leverage on our Singapore-Kuala Lumpur model. When we first started flying last October, it was twice weekly," said Chin.

"By December it was increased to 30 times weekly," he said, adding that Silk Air's plan now is not to add new destinations in Malaysia but to work on increasing the frequency of flights from existing destinations.

Chin said Silk Air's entry into Penang emphasises the value and importance of tourism, trade and business links between Penang and Singapore.

Source : Business Times
[tags : ]

No comments:




Related Posts with Thumbnails